Friday, January 20, 2012

Topic for discussion...

Yesterday I shared a great band with you and it made me think about the legalities of music. Particularly the copying and sharing of cds.

Now I have never had a problem with copying music from my friends iTunes onto a cd. And i would never have a problem with doing the same for my friends. However, about a month ago, one of my friends kindly pointed out that he thought that was a form of stealing. I really never thought of it that way, but he does bring up a good point. If we did not pay for that cd, it is technically stealing. He suggest letting people borrow the cd and if they like it they can buy their own copy. It makes sense and it supports the musicians financially so they can continue to provide good music. And i definitely want to support the people who make the music i love so very much.

I have decided here on out that i would gladly borrow a cd, but will not upload it to my itunes to keep for myself and if i really want it, i will save money to purchase it. I have not made up my mind about giving burnt cds to others. The reason being is I like to make random cd mixes for people that include significant and meaningful songs. I don't think I will make a full cd for someone just because they like the cd and want it though.

So i wanted to hear your take on this subject. How do you feel about copying music?

5 comments:

Callie said...

I have always had the same thoughts as your friend that it is a form of stealing. I'm not quite sure what I think about burning mixes for gifts though. It's fun to give music that way, but I'm a little torn because it seems to fall under the same category. I'll be curious to hear what you decide on that!

Unknown said...

Personally, as someone who enjoys live music more than any other kind, I don't think of it as stealing. The musicians themselves make almost $0 on album sales. They make their money by live shows, merchandise, live appearances/signings, etc. I've noticed in the past year or so that a lot of artists encourage you to download a free version of their album when it comes out, or to share it with your friends. The world is definitely changing in terms of music & I think this is something that will eventually change completely too...
XoXo

Anonymous said...

I agree with Haley. Musicians love when you spread the word about there music and there are other ways that they make money that Haley mentioned above. So I don't see it as a form of stealing. It's sharing. What does James think, since he is a musician?

deanna@delirious-rhapsody said...

i don't feel too badly about copying music because if it's a band i really like, i'm going to be shelling out 60 bucks to go see them live anyway. and then i'll probably buy a shirt. and a poster. and a pin. :)

She Said... said...

Haley, you bring up a good point. I asked James about this subject and he said the same thing. That he doesn't consider it stealing and he would pay money in other ways to support them like go see shows and buy merch.

I do notice a lot of bands asking for there music to be shared though and offering free cd's and what not....

still not 100% sure how I feel about it. Callie sent me a link to a pod cast about it that I will be listening to soon, then I will chime in more :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...