Monday, October 24, 2011

Beauty Week Day 1 - Beauty Routine


Hello, She Said readers!  I am so happy to be here with you all today!  Michelle was one of the very first blogs I started following. She is such a beautiful lady, and inspirational blogger.  I am also very excited to be apart of She Said's Beauty Week!

Today I am going to be talking about au naturale skin and hair care. But first, allow me to introduce myself.  My name is Mandy, and I blog over at "She Breathes Deeply."  I am au naturale skin care junkie, blogged obsessed, tattoo wearing, tea drinking, christian yoga instructing, wife to a wonderful man, and mama to a beautiful, bouncing baby girl.  Now that we have the introductions out of the way, let's talk skin and hair.  


First, hair.  Allow me to introduce you to a oil that is going to change your life- cold pressed virgin coconut oil.  (You can, and will thank me later.)   This hair treatment is SUPER easy, and new mom friendly (read: I have no time to spend on my hair with an 8 month old on my hip).  

Here is what you do:  

Step 1: Depending on how thick and long your hair is, scoop out some coconut oil, rub it on your hands to warm it up (it will liquefy), or you can melt it on the stove in a small sauce pan.  Careful not to burn yourself if you have heated the oil.  

Step 2:  Apply all over your hair, from roots to tips.  Coconut oil is really great for your scalp, as well, so massage a little on your head, as well.  Allow it to sit on your hair for as long as you like.  I usually put some in 15 minutes before I am ready to shower and allow it to soak in.  

Step 3:  Shampoo and condition as normal.  

Step 4: Repeat this process 2-3 times a week. 

Coconut oil's health benefits for your skin, hair, and body are INCREDIBLE.  Don't believe me?  Try googling coconut oil.  I think you will be impressed.


Second.  Let's talk about skin.  I don't know about you, but at the end of a long day, all I want is a hot shower to pamper myself.  I love body scrubs, but I don't like using artificial ingredients on my skin.  Here is a recipe for a scrub that is oh, so scrumptious, and will make your skin happier than it ever has been before.  

Step 1:  In a bowl, combine half of a cup of brown sugar, 2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil, 2 tablespoons of sea salt, and just about a teaspoon of jojoba oil.  (To be completely honest, I never measure my ingredients... I just eyeball it until all the brown sugar is nice a moistened by all the yummy oils.)  Mix this all together.  

Step 2:  Exfoliate!  In the shower, gently exfoliate by massaging the mixture on to your skin in circular motions.  

Step 3:  Repeat this process a couple times a week, or when ever you feel the need to exfoliate.  

Well, ladies... I hope you absolutely love these homemade recipes for skin and hair care.  Stop by my blog for more tips, or just to say hello!  www.shebreathesdeeply.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beauty week!! I love this idea. I'm over here from Delirious Rhapsody...Loving what I see so far.

Is extra virgin coco oil different than just plain ol' coco oil? Where would I find this stuff? I need something to help my hair, desperately. If I can't figure out how to make it healthier I am going to have to cut it, and I DON'T WANNA!!

Looking forward to reading more...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...